BIKE, RIDE AND STRIDE 2020
The date of the event this year was Saturday September 12th.
Thank you to all who have taken part in this year’s event and to those that have enabled it to take place – Deanery Organisers, parish organisers, churchwardens, riders and walkers. We know it has been a difficult year and that many churches could not open on the day and that many people did not take part – but many existing and new supporters did take part and did enjoy the day.
The money raised is still being collated – so we are some way off knowing how well the day went financially – however that is only part of the story – it is always good to hear how the day went and the following lovely report shows how one group enjoyed the day!
Just click on the link below
More information can be obtained from Sarah Roberts on 07760468052 or email Roberts.email@example.com.
If you would like to become more involved in the event then we are looking for Deanery Organisers in Axholme, Yarborough (Brigg area), Manlake (Scunthorpe), Calcewaithe & Candleshoe (Skegness area), Grimsby & Cleethorpes, Graffoe (South of Lincoln), Louthesk and East & West Holland (Boston area). You do not need to be involved with your local church – you could be a member of your local cycle club, a walker, or just someone who is passionate about the architecture or history of churches.
Deanery organisers are vital contacts between parish organisers and the County Organiser. With over 700 churches, the event would be impossible to run without the help of these volunteers. More information on the role can be obtained from Sarah (see below) and we have set out a brief description of the role at the bottom of this page.
If you would just like to take part in the event and join the many people who have great fun, cycling, walking or riding between our beautiful churches then please contact Sarah by email at Roberts.firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07760468052 for more information.
DEANERY ORGANISERS NEEDED
The event is co-ordinated by Deanery Organisers, and we currently have several areas where there are no such volunteers – therefore the event is less well advertised in those areas, and the numbers taking part reduced.
The parts of the county where we are looking for volunteers are:- Axholme, Yarborough (Brigg area), Manlake (Scunthorpe), Calcewaithe & Candleshoe (Skegness area), Grimsby & Cleethorpes, Graffoe (South of Lincoln), Louthesk and East & West Holland (Boston area).
This means that we have no contacts in the north of the county.
Below is a description of what the role entails – it is not particularly onerous! If you think you would like to help out in one of the areas then please contact Sarah Roberts on email@example.com or Nicholas Ridley on 01476 550055.
DEANERY ORGANISER’S ROLE DESCRIPTION
- Contact all churches in your deanery. The best contact is usually a church Warden but could also be PCC Secretary or the Vicar. With luck you may have been given a list of contact details from your predecessor. Useful details include name, address, phone number and email. Check if they wish to be included in the list of open churches for the day.
- Paperwork will be delivered to you, as the Deanery Organiser, in early May, for onward delivery to the churches in your area – this will provide all you need with regard to advertising etc.
- Some months prior to the Ride and Stride in September, send out all the posters, leaflets, sponsor forms etc to all Parish Organisers in your deanery. A covering letter, reminding the organiser to leave the church unlocked and provide refreshments if possible, is recommended. Also encourage them to advertise the event in the Parish Magazine, local paper, local school etc.
- Some Deanery Organisers deliver the leaflets by hand, but this can take a long time and can be expensive on petrol. Royal mail is usually the cheaper option, particularly if time is a issue.
- Some weeks prior to the big day it can be useful to phone or email your contacts to remind them of the event, to make sure that posters have gone up, and offer any advice or help required. Also to point out that the forms and cheques should be returned to the Deanery Organiser as soon as possible after the event.
- As the cheques arrive it is helpful to keep a list (or photocopy) of money and forms received. Once it has all arrived, fill out the form and send, with cheques, to Sarah Roberts – before the end of October is preferred.
- It is always encouraging to send letters of thanks, with a total amount received, to all Parish Organisers.
- A yearly meeting of Deanery Organisers is arranged in February/March – which enables ideas to be exchanged and organisers to meet one another.
ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE WITH THIS IMPORTANT WORK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED BY THE TRUSTEES