BIKE, RIDE AND STRIDE 2019
The date of the event this year is Saturday September 14th.
This is the day that churches throw open their doors for people to visit – either walking, cycling, or by any other inventive means! To help you take part you can print off the sponsor form below – remember half of any money you raise can be kept by your chosen church – with the Trust having the other half to use for grants for churches. Also below is the poster for this year which can be displayed in any prominent place, and a local contact name can be added at the bottom. There is also a visitable churches leaflet which can be downloaded to help you plan your route.
More information, hard copy sponsor forms and visitable churches lists, along with any other paperwork can be obtained from Sarah Roberts on 07760468052 or email Roberts.firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to a successful day enjoying our beautiful churches, stunning countryside and fresh air and wish all our riders and walkers a lovely day.
DEANERY ORGANISERS NEEDED
The event is co-ordinated by Deanery Organisers, and we currently have several areas where there are no such volunteers – therefore the event is less well advertised in those areas, and the numbers taking part reduced.
The parts of the county where we are looking for volunteers are:- Axholme, Manlake (Scunthorpe), Calcewaite & Candleshoe (Skegness), Graffoe, Yarborough (Brigg), Grimsby and Holland (Boston). This means that we have no contacts in the north of the county.
Below is a description of what the role entails – it is not particularly onerous! If you think you would like to help out in one of the areas then please contact Sarah Roberts on email@example.com or Nicholas Ridley on 01476 550055.
DEANERY ORGANISER’S ROLE DESCRIPTION
- Contact all churches in your deanery. The best contact is usually a church Warden but could also be PCC Secretary or the Vicar. With luck you may have been given a list of contact details from your predecessor. Useful details include name, address, phone number and email. Check if they wish to be included in the list of open churches for the day.
- Paperwork will be delivered to you, as the Deanery Organiser, in early May, for onward delivery to the churches in your area – this will provide all you need with regard to advertising etc.
- Some months prior to the Ride and Stride in September, send out all the posters, leaflets, sponsor forms etc to all Parish Organisers in your deanery. A covering letter, reminding the organiser to leave the church unlocked and provide refreshments if possible, is recommended. Also encourage them to advertise the event in the Parish Magazine, local paper, local school etc.
- Some Deanery Organisers deliver the leaflets by hand, but this can take a long time and can be expensive on petrol. Royal mail is usually the cheaper option, particularly if time is a issue.
- Some weeks prior to the big day it can be useful to phone or email your contacts to remind them of the event, to make sure that posters have gone up, and offer any advice or help required. Also to point out that the forms and cheques should be returned to the Deanery Organiser as soon as possible after the event.
- As the cheques arrive it is helpful to keep a list (or photocopy) of money and forms received. Once it has all arrived, fill out the form and send, with cheques, to Sarah Roberts – before the end of October is preferred.
- It is always encouraging to send letters of thanks, with a total amount received, to all Parish Organisers.
- A yearly meeting of Deanery Organisers is arranged in February/March – which enables ideas to be exchanged and organisers to meet one another.
ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE WITH THIS IMPORTANT WORK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED BY THE TRUSTEES